Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Scent Pouches

In my post "Rosemary's Baby" I mentioned that I would be making some scent pouches for the wardrobe to keep the moths away.  I had visions of creating pretty pouches from scratch, but then I came across some old muslin drawstring bags that I had lying around (an impulse buy) and decided to use those instead.  They actually work pretty well - just the right fabric weight to let the aroma out easily, and the drawstring element means that the bags can be hung easily, and the contents can be emptied to allow the bags to be washed, or to add fresh material or something different.

As they were very simple bags, I did embellish them a little with some very simple embroidery to give an idea of what was inside.

The filling was simply a 50/50 mix of dried rosemary and lavender, which had a short blast in a food processor to release more of the aroma.  I also added a little orris root powder to help keep the aroma, but that is optional.  It took about 10g of the mix to fill a pouch, which I then hung from various hangers in the wardrobe.


Most scent pouches will be filled with lavender, which is very pleasant, but there is a whole world of scent out there that could be used as well: other dried scented flowers (like rose petals or chamomile flowers), various herbs (as well as rosemary, marjoram, thyme, sage, fennel, bay to name a few), spices (cardamom, cloves, star anise, cinnamon or cassia bark), dried orange or lemon slices... You see what I mean?  Experiment with different combinations to come up with your own unique scent, then hang them in wardrobes, place them in drawers or use them to freshen the car.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
domain names