Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 March 2011

The First Time Ever I... Smelt a Hyacinth

Now that the clocks have gone forward, the park is open late enough to take a walk after dinner.  On my way around yesterday evening I passed a couple of beds packed with Hyacinths. The fragrance was delightful and took me back to the first time I smelt a Hyacinth.  I was mooching around a garden centre one evening after work, about four years ago now, when I caught a whiff of something sweet in the air.  At first I thought I had imagined it, or perhaps just caught the remnants of someone's perfume on the air; but the more I wandered the more I realised that it was coming from somewhere nearby.  So after doing a couple of laps of the nursery area while sniffing the air (I must have looked a bit crazy), I traced the sweet aroma to a small display of Hyacinths.  I remember that I was absolutely delighted, though I'm not exactly sure why.  Maybe it was because at the time it was a revelation that flowers could smell so lovely. Apart from roses and a vague recollection of the very general floral smell that you find in a florists, I had forgotten that nature was awash with aroma.  I bought three small plants, which I kept in my sunny kitchen.  So enamoured was I with the aroma that I even tried to capture the scent by immersing the small flower heads in alcohol and then glycerine (soon after getting the plants I had watched the movie Perfume and had become fascinated with the idea of making my own perfume), but all I ended up with was a rather foul-smelling mush.  I was dismayed to find that the flowers lost their aroma almost as soon as they were picked. I really believe that that little, seemingly insignificant event - catching an aroma on the breeze - set me on the path that I'm now on, sparking an interest in and love for aromatic plants that I never knew I had.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
domain names